Tuesday, April 20, 2010

17 April 2010, Yellowstone Park

I guess most of the people are quite familiar with Yellowstone Park if they watched the blockbuster movie, 2012. Yellowstone Park is famous for its scenery and wild animals running around. Two days ago, I went there for a short getaway trip with my pals. We rented a 7 pax SUV, GMC Acadia, for the 5 hours trip from Idaho to Yellowstone Park, Montana. One of my pals rented a 5 seater, Infinti FX-35, for himself and his family.

I only had an hour of rest before setting off but had to stay awake to keep a lookout for the driver whom had about an hour rest too. I tried my best to entertain and kept 2 drivers awake. This trip was quite interesting as we had 2 vehicles travelling together and communicating over walkie talkies. The most exciting part of the journey was when our 7 pax vehicle's right rear wheel punctured. It took us about an hour to get our spare tyre on and continued to travel about 30 miles for a new vehicle.



After we got our new Acadia, we spent about 2 hours to reach Montana. As our hotel rooms were not prepared, we pressed on to Yellowsone Park. By then, some of us were quite awake while driver, Poh and I were tired. I slept at some point while on our way there but wasn't enough!

The entry to Yellowstone Park was free and I was very excited. I kept looking out for any wild animals expecially bears. Instead bears, I only managed to see a herd of bisons, a few deers and a running wolf. Was quite disappointed in a way. However, the free running bisons made up for the disappearance of bears. Those bisons were really frightening as you might never know when they might run into your vehicle.





The most attractive spot is the Greysers. I am not very sure about the formation of the greysers but it is believed that they were formed after an earthquake. It seemed as if there is a stove underneath the ground which heat the water to boiling state. The most popular of all is the Old Faithful. I missed it as I was too tired to get off the car.







Evidence of fatigue

After spending about 4 hours at the park, we checked in Holiday Inn Hotel which was nearby. Not very luxury but was good enough for me to gain back some lost sleep. I enjoyed the trip to a certain extent and felt it was all worthwhile.



No comments:

Post a Comment